Sunday, February 20, 2011

Nick Cave: artist, dancer, teacher

Adult learning seems so different from “student” learning. The type of learning I excelled at -- memorization, test-taking, auditory recall -- is no longer as useful as it was. My nice adult communications job is great, and has involved learning lots of new systems very quickly, but it's not the stuff I'm so skilled at. I learn by listening. I learn by writing.

I miss lectures, guys.

So, I've gone out and found them.

The first was pure chance. I was restless, and chattering with Adam and Rachel. Adam is my splendid hero-friend-landlord, an accompanist at Cleveland Institute of Music. Rachel is a gorgeous viola player from Vancouver. They wanted to eat dinner; I wanted to shoot fireworks into power-lines. We compromised by walking to the Barking Spider, a beer bar with live music every night. I examined the bands listed on the side of the door, when out walks Emelio.

"Emelio?!"

If you did theater at Oberlin, or graduated from my year, you knew Emelio. Emelio is fabulous, kind, and hilariously funny— he attracts friends and followers easily. In my dofus way, I always balked at talking with him because, well, he’s just so cool.

"Aries?!"

He lives in Tremont, works in a community garden project, and was on his way to a lecture at CIA.

"It's for Nick Cave," he said.

"The musician?"

"Nah, the textiles artist. You should go! It'll be great!"

Nick Cave, the artist-not-musician, was absolutely fantastic. He pairs art with movement -- he studied modern dance with Alvin Ailey, and creates amazing wearable art pieces called Soundsuits. The first Soundsuits was made of twigs, completely overtaking the body of the wearer; others are constructed out of human hair, creating an enormous fur glories. He transforms people into muppets, blurring an individual’s gender, race, and class. He speaks softly and melodiously, and during his talk, I drifted between attentiveness and dreamy nap-land. He made all my fantasies seem so real.



The first Soundsuit!






Like a character from the phantom tollbooth, as interpreted by Shaun Tan.


Can't read my, can't read my, can’t read my abacus face! Abba-ba-ba-cus-face!


I’m sure you know what this feels like.



The second speaker was Peter Gleick-- an authority on water, and one of the frontrunners in the water conservation movement. He spoke more like a historian than a scientist, giving an interestingly hopeful view on the future. For me, as interesting as his talk was, I was most happy that it was free and available. I just wanted to learn.

In his talk, he asked two questions that he found invaluable in discovering the difference between ecological awareness and ignorance:
- Where does your water come from?
- Where does your waste water go?

Thanks, Lake Erie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Cleveland is an interesting city...The D